Prep Time: 10 mins |Servings: 6 | Cooking : 1 hour
1 lb dry black beans
7 cups water
1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice)
6 cups rice, cooked in unsalted water
1 jar (4 oz) sliced pimento, drained
1 lemon cut into wedges
- P ick through beans to remove bad beans. Soak beans overnight in cold
water. Drain and rinse.
- In large soup pot or dutch oven stir together beans, water, green pepper,
onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until beans are very
tender. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to pot. Stir and heat
- Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice when ready to
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
Calories 561, Fat 4 g